Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scrapping a couple of cars - what to expect

I need to scrap the Corsa and the Saxo soon - preferably this Wednesday

I had a neighbour (whom I have never seen or spoken to prior to today) come over and speak to me about the Corsa this afternoon.
    He asked me if I would sell it to him and if so, what price would I be looking at?

Told him the truth that I wouldnt pass an MOT but he was very keen on having the wheels to put on his Pug 306.

He asked me for a price on those and said he could give me the ones he has on his at the moment when I sell them so that the Corsa can still be rolled about ect.

First question: What would be a fair price for the 4 Corsa GSI wheels in gloss white in near 99% perfect condition (one minor tiny scratch only noticable if looking for it up close), all with 4 decent/legal tyres?

Also, he asked about selling the Saxo to him. Told him the same that it wont pass an MOT and he said to let him know what I get offered to scrap it as he may match it to tinker about with.

Second question: What is the going rate for scrapping a car? I thought it was around 100-120 but a mate of mine scrapped his a few weeks back and got around 220 for it and it was a **** heap 25-30 year old old thing (cant remember what it was)

Third question: Does removing the battery devalue the car when weighing it in for scrap?

You don't have Gsi wheels.

Sure you had sxi ones? Or you changed?

Comment

You know, you're right.
      I wrote SXI, then changed it to GSI as I thought for a moment that SXI are the ones you had (the Corsa C wheels).

Comment

Gsi wheels, anywhere up to 150-ish.

Going scrap rate for small normal car is as you say 100-120 ish. 220 is rubbish, he probably sold the car to someone for that, as a sale. Not to a scrappers... As the scrappers wouldn't make anything on it at 220

And lastly I'd say they probably wouldn't notice if you took the battery out tbh... The times I've scrapped cars (twice) they didn't even look to see if there was an engine lol... It would prob devalue it, but they'd never know... So go ahead and do it tbh..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
        |> Spec2 R33 Skyline GTS-T <|

Comment

These are the wheels

Will take the battery out then - don't particularly need them for anything, but its always handy for me to have a 12v battery kicking around - especially with my inverter.

Didn't realise the wheels would be that much to be fair - I paid 40 for them with bald tyres and not the greatest condition - was expecting to get about 50-60 for them

Will I be better off taking the car to a breakers yard so it can be salvaged for parts by other people, or take it to a normal/general metal scrap yard to be crushed ect?

Comment

Why not strip the good parts off and sell those, then scrap both?

Comment

Pretty sure corsa wheels won't fit pug 306? Corsa is 4x100 and I'm certain pug is different? May be wrong though

Comment

Not got the storage space anymore - handing the keys to my garage back tomorrow at midday.
                There isn't really any good parts to the car to be honest

Bad boy bonnet - too large and has a crack at the eyes
                5dr Electric windows - been wired in with custom non-removable loom
                Heated electric mirrors - as above
                Alarm - as above
                Central locking - as above
                Wheels - already got interest on those
                Dietrich bumper - needs some attention as cracked it on a kerb
                Angel eyes - has broken bracket on top - MOT failure
                Quad horn system - worthless
                230v supply system - will be removed for other use
                Audio system - will be removed for other use
                Suspension - have nothing to replace it with

Comment

Sxi. Realistically I'd say they're worth about 60
                  Common wheels painted white

Comment

Originally posted by IainW View Post
                    Pretty sure corsa wheels won't fit pug 306? Corsa is 4x100 and I'm certain pug is different? May be wrong though
                    No idea - I told the guy they are 4x100 and I think they are ET49 - he replied by asking if that means they are 4 stud or 5.
                    Told him they were 4 stud and would be easier to just see if it fits if he doesnt know what it means.

Will check on Google now.

Comment

They are B SXi wheels. Not GSi. I'd say 100 tops in good condition with tyres.

When I scrapped cars I always just rang a car recycler place and they came and got it, gave me the cash, nice and easy. Job done. Personally, for well under 200 I wouldn't bother taking anything off, it's just not worth the time. And then gradually selling it all over months, not worth it and you'll never see the money, as its in bits. Ring a car breakers and have them fetch it IMO

|> Spec2 R33 Skyline GTS-T <|

Comment

Originally posted by Vegas View Post
                        Sxi. Realistically I'd say they're worth about 60
                        Common wheels painted white
                        This is what I was thinking

Comment

Infact I have set of them here in silver, with tyres..
                          Save have me them for free lol

Comment

Apparently the Pug 306 is 4x108 and ET15-22

Originally posted by Dave View Post
                            They are B SXi wheels. Not GSi. I'd say 100 tops in good condition with tyres.

When I scrapped cars I always just rang a car recycler place and they came and got it, gave me the cash, nice and easy. Job done. Personally, for well under 200 I wouldn't bother taking anything off, it's just not worth the time. And then gradually selling it all over months, not worth it and you'll never see the money, as its in bits. Ring a car breakers and have them fetch it IMO

Cheers mate - think I will just do this

- - - Updated - - -

Originally posted by Vegas View Post
                            Infact I have set of them here in silver, with tyres..
                            Save have me them for free lol
                            Eh?

Comment

Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X