Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Corsa 1.4T using lots of fuel?

Hi There,
    First post so let me explain my car a little bit.
    I have the 1.4T 6 Speed Corsa SRI from last year, it has 100bhp, and is a fantastic little motor, especially when I want to put the foot down
    Anyways I do quite a lot of mileage some weeks, I have done around 300 miles last week alone (I have put about 3k miles on the car since purchase in january)
    But it can drink a lot of fuel, I understand when I floor it more it will drink more fuel but even eco driving can drink fuel.
    I am looking for suggestions on how I may increase it more, paying for fuel is not really an issue (I get paid for driving) just annoys me having to fuel up once twice a week, example.
    I filled up on Saturday, did around 107 miles, monday and tuesday I did around 60 miles.
    I also have the digital fuel guage, its currently reading 3 white and of course red (Reserve), and I don't trust the mpg screen either or the mileage left.

It may just be me but I did come from an older 1.2 Corsa C which I believe has a smaller reserve so it may just be that which is making me think I am using more fuel.

Thanks

A 1.4T is always going to use more fuel than a 1.2, plus the new Corsas are much heavier than the Corsa C.
    You haven't actually said how much fuel its using, so it's difficult to say if it sounds excessive or not.

Comment

Ah see I didn't know they where a lot heavier than the older models, how come though?
      And if I believe my MPG meter (Which I don't) at 30mph I get around 35mpg and at 70 I get around 45/50mpg
      I do believe its getting around 35/40 at 70mpg I havent been able to accurately test it yet

Comment

How new is the car? MPG figures will rise once the engine is "bedded in" too
        Like me...feed me likes!

Comment

size segments have changed. The D is a significantly bigger car than the C. Its 292 mm longer, 90mm wider and so weighs about 150 kg more. That said a 2015 D may use less fuel than its nearest equivalent C.
          Makers claim figures based on ideal conditions in a lab. As your meter is showing its very different in the real world. 35mpg at 30 mph may be about right as an average for varied town driving, or may show briefly if the car is working harder than you realise (maybe there is a slight upwards slope or headwind). Or if your right foot is heavier than you think.
          Its a while since I have had a car with a gas guzzle worry meter . I would want to compare computer results with a few actual brimmings and calculations before trusting it.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugman View Post
            size segments have changed. The D is a significantly bigger car than the C. Its 292 mm longer, 90mm wider and so weighs about 150 kg more. That said a 2015 D may use less fuel than its nearest equivalent C.
            Makers claim figures based on ideal conditions in a lab. As your meter is showing its very different in the real world. 35mpg at 30 mph may be about right as an average for varied town driving, or may show briefly if the car is working harder than you realise (maybe there is a slight upwards slope or headwind). Or if your right foot is heavier than you think.
            Its a while since I have had a car with a gas guzzle worry meter . I would want to compare computer results with a few actual brimmings and calculations before trusting it.
            Well last night I spoke to my girlfriends dad about it (Hes a mechanic) and I said the tank gauge which is the one which says how many miles I have left in, he says there rather accurate and his Audi can do an extra 30 miles after the tank registers 0.
            This morning I had a look at it going up an hill, it was registering 21mpg but as the hill levelled out it went back up to around 35mpg, only reason I don't trust that meter is it always bounces around and has at a time said I was getting 99mpg, If only!
            I also understand the results Vauxhall will get are under extremely good conditions with rolling roads at top gear constantly.
            Also my C was a 2001 model so I do expect even with a more hungry engine to be getting the same or above fuel consumption.
            I think personally its me getting used to this new fuel gauge as I could accurately read it on an analogue one.

Comment

Originally posted by XDroidie View Post
              This morning I had a look at it going up an hill, it was registering 21mpg but as the hill levelled out it went back up to around 35mpg, only reason I don't trust that meter is it always bounces around and has at a time said I was getting 99mpg, If only!
              The fuel consumption you are looking at is for the instantaneous fuel usage, and this will bounce around all over the place to reflect the inclination of the road, resistance (both rolling and wind) and your driving style. This indication will read very good fuel consumption when the car is going down hill, or any other time when you relax the gas pedal with the car still moving.

I have a 1.4 Turbo 120hp and mine indicates similar fuel consumption figures to those you are quoting, and I am finding these similar to the 2014 1.2 Limited Edition I had previously - probably because the 1.4 Turbo engine does not have to work as hard.

The fuel consumption figures for my other car make much more interesting reading !!!!

Comment

Engine will be working harder driving up a hill, so mpg will change naturally.

Will also drop when you're rolling down the hill.

Same as when you walk up a hill it's more work than going down

Comment

As said, what you are seeing, are instantaneous fuel consumption readings, which are accurate, but do change almost by the second, depending upon conditions.
                  If you still feel that the gauge is inaccurate, check it the 'old fashioned' way - Fill the tank right up, NOTE THE MILEAGE, drive the car 'till you have used at least 3/4 tankful, fill it right up again, noting EXACTLY how much fuel you put in, take the old mileage reading from the new (to tell you how far you have travelled) Divide the mileage by the fuel used to find the true consumption figures.
                  I prefer to work in miles per gallon (MPG) because, as you buy fuel in litres yet road distance is measured in miles, this leads to a nonsense figure, so multiply the amount of fuel used (in litres) by 0.22 to give you gallons, then divide the mileage by that figure to arrive at MPG.

Regards

Comment

Working...
                  X