I feel my Corsa deserves a tribute...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I feel my Corsa deserves a tribute...

Its good to hear from one of the many who are happy with their car. All too often we only hear from those who have had problems.

It helps that you change the oil and filter more frequently (although some would say even 12000 miles is too long) and clocking up the miles with long daily runs rather than short stop start trips in town on a cold engine. ('elderly couple' previous owners are not always ideal) But I suppose in the wild and woolly borderlands it miles to the nearest shop and you're often up in the hills stalking deer,and rounding up sheep ,wild haggis etc. ( No offence . I come from lowland scots ancestry myself)

Its interesting to hear that remapping to 109 bhp improved the diesel 'knock' and makes you feel the car is under geared. My 60 bhp 1.3cdti feels a bit over geared in 2nd and can get quite 'knocky' and sluggish around town unless I keep the revs up closer to what a petrol car would need. My 90 bhp yaris diesel pulls strongly from lower revs but as I'm currently driving both maybe I am slow to adapt. And its unfair to compare 60 bhp with 90 bhp. But even with only 60 bhp the corsa goes very well at 1800 revs.

Personally with just 60 bhp I wouldnt want to raise rolling diameter on my car , but maybe 109 bhp could run slightly larger. Experts recommend you dont go beyond a 1.5 – 2% increase

The calculator on this site may help https://www.willtheyfit.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Bugman View Post

Its interesting to hear that remapping to 109 bhp improved the diesel 'knock' and makes you feel the car is under geared.
      I've spoken to a few people who have had their diesels remapped and they all say it reduced the diesel knock and made the engine feel smoother.

As for under geared, first is far too low, unless you are really careful sprinting off the mark the front drive wheels just break traction and at 40 mph in 5th it accelerates clean and hard with just a prod of the throttle.

Comment

Its my main complaint about my car. Low end grunt in 2nd gear and diesel knock . I do a lot of sharp hairpin bends across mountain passes. Mostly in eastern europe. . Sometimes knocking is worse because its not unknown for garages to sell Truck grade diesel as Euro diesel. My Yaris runs well on any old muck, but the Corsa is fussy.

Its more noticeable I suppose because once the revs are up Turbo diesels really pick up their skirts and fly.

In extreme circumstances I sometimes have to change into 1st gear on the move , something I have rarely had to do in other cars.

Remapping sounds good, but i'm not sure how much longer I shall be keeping the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugman View Post

Remapping sounds good, but i'm not sure how much longer I shall be keeping the car.
          I had mine done at the Car Tuning Clinic in Edinburgh, in the railway arches just up from Hollyrood, he's been doing remapping for years plus has a rolling road, most of his customers are taxi drivers going for mid range high torque remaps though as it improves their economy, and performance, especially around town.

I'm sure the remaps that he uses are franchised and you would be able to get similar done to yours local, or even better, get your Toyota remapped, how can you regret far better performance and economy too?

Comment

I'd never considered taxi drivers for remaps, I guess I see that they'd want to reduce costs.

Glad you're enjoying your Corsa though, sounds like a gooden!
            TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

Comment

Working...
            X