Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Servicing/ remortgage

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Servicing/ remortgage


  • #2
    Main dealer service plans are a rip off. Especially a 3 year plan when you buy a new car, and likely to trade it in after 3 years , meaning you are paying for the car to be serviced just before you sell it.

    Far better to find a decent independent garage , not a main dealer. Ideally one that is a Vauxhall specialist, who often use vauxhall trained technicians. Saves having to pay for a main dealers overheads such as sales staff, reception staff etc.etc.

    You no longer have to have a car serviced by a main dealer to comply with a manufacturer's warranty, although they do their best to imply that you do. Same with other warranties. It just needs to be done by a proper professional garage to the manufacturers specifications. Usually it needs to be one that is VAT registered.

    I dont know what servicing costs in the UK. Usually I either do it myself , or get it done in Bulgaria where labour charges are very cheap. . I have not used a main dealer for at least 10 years, except to get a couple of recalls done on my 2007 Yaris. But beware of very cheap servicing offers, which may be little more than an oil and filter change . It often doesnt include things such as spark plugs, should these be due for renewal.
    Last edited by Bugman; 26-08-2019, 11:32 AM.

    Comment


    • #3
      Cheers bugman. Here's another one for you, do I have a timing belt or chain - if chain (which I suspect) then change at 100000 miles?

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by JimCorsa View Post
        Cheers bugman. Here's another one for you, do I have a timing belt or chain - if chain (which I suspect) then change at 100000 miles?
        AFAIK the Corsa D has a timing chain, and the auxiliaries are belt driven, and the chain should be changed at roughly 60k miles or 100k km

        Comment


        • #5
          Cheers, AFAIK?

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by JimCorsa View Post
            Cheers, AFAIK?
            As far as I know

            2017 Corsa-E SE 1.4L 90PS

            Comment


            • #7
              OK mate. Are you Bulgarian? Your English is top notch.

              Is that your corsa you mention?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JimCorsa View Post
                OK mate. Are you Bulgarian? Your English is top notch.

                Is that your corsa you mention?
                Bulgarian where did you get that from and do you mean the Corsa detail in my forum signature?

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Murtgyver View Post

                  Bulgarian where did you get that from and do you mean the Corsa detail in my forum signature?
                  Sorry mixed you up with Bugman. And yes I did mean that Corsa detail. I'll go back to sleep.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by JimCorsa View Post

                    Sorry mixed you up with Bugman. And yes I did mean that Corsa detail. I'll go back to sleep.
                    It did look like part of my post in fairness, thats just my signature from the Tapatalk app.

                    I am driving a 2017 Corsa E, 1.4L SE. Its pure stock at the moment so I only have it a week

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I am English and live in kent. But I do spend a lot of time at my house in Bulgaria (this is coming to you from a small village in the Balkan mountains, via fibre optic cabling. ) I have a Yaris in the UK and a Bulgarian registered Corsa . Thats it under the snow on my avatar. The dog is not mine.

                      I think your car is chain, but I dont think there is a set replacement interval . You replace it when it starts to get noisy. With frequent oil and filter changes they can last 100K miles or more. But they can become noisy sooner than this if you neglect oil and filter changes or thrash it before fully warmed up.

                      If you ever need to replace it use genuine GM chain, sprockets and tensioner. Some of the after market ones stretch and wear very quickly.
                      Last edited by Bugman; 26-08-2019, 05:10 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Bugman View Post
                        I am English and live in kent. But I do spend a lot of time at my house in Bulgaria (this is coming to you from a small village in the Balkan mountains, via fibre optic cabling. ) I have a Yaris in the UK and a Bulgarian registered Corsa . Thats it under the snow on my avatar. The dog is not mine.

                        I think your car is chain, but I dont think there is a set replacement interval . You replace it when it starts to get noisy. With frequent oil and filter changes they can last 100K miles or more. But they can become noisy sooner than this if you neglect oil and filter changes or thrash it before fully warmed up.

                        If you ever need to replace it use genuine GM chain, sprockets and tensioner. Some of the after market ones stretch and wear very quickly.
                        In that case your English is piss poor

                        Bulgaria eh, I know nothing of the country, until Romesh Ranganathan does a show there

                        Thanks for the chain advice, I'll probably never get near 100000 but I will get it serviced so should be ok.

                        I'm from London and I live in Newcastle under Lyme. Which isn't Stoke on Trent. I repeat it's not Stoke on Trent.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Newcastle under Lyme? Thats where Geordies come from, right?

                          My english is better than my Bulgarian. But I can never hope to speak english as well as some continental europeans. Even the Bulgarian truck driver who pumped out the cess pit spoke good english.

                          True story. There is a welsh bloke who lives full time in our Bulgarian village. He works for the village municipality doing grass strimming etc. To earn a few extra quid he planned to come to england as a 'migrant' fruit picker working through a Bulgarian employment agency. They have to pass a test of basic english. He almost failed it! Admittedly because the test was a bit faulty. They showed a picture of a chair. The expected answer was stool (similar to a bulgarian word for chair) so his correct answer was marked as a fail.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Why aye man. That's a great story

                            So if you don't mind me asking, how did Bulgaria happen? A work thing?

                            Comment


                            • #15

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X