Tablet As A SatNav

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tablet As A SatNav

Does anyone else use a tablet as a satnav?

I've an old 7" tablet that I want to use and you can get a suction holder for them on Amazon, but just wondering if anyone else uses one?

2017 Corsa-E SE 1.4L 90PS

Older tablets often lacked the GPS receiver required for sat nav, plus the lack of internet connectivity means the most used apps (Waze, Google Maps etc) won't be getting any traffic updates. If you have GPS then it'll be OK I'm sure, you just might need to find a satnav app that allows you to download the maps whilst on wifi.
    TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

Comment

Originally posted by jt999 View Post
      Older tablets often lacked the GPS receiver required for sat nav, plus the lack of internet connectivity means the most used apps (Waze, Google Maps etc) won't be getting any traffic updates. If you have GPS then it'll be OK I'm sure, you just might need to find a satnav app that allows you to download the maps whilst on wifi.
      Suppose I am better off wiring a charging cable to the cigarette lighter and mounting my phone then

Comment

Originally posted by Murtgyver View Post

Suppose I am better off wiring a charging cable to the cigarette lighter and mounting my phone then
        To be honest, yes probably.
        Does your car have Apple Carplay or Android Auto support? I know it was available after 2016 but may not have been specced in your car. If you have support for those then that would be the best option as you just plug your phone into the stereo USB port (not cigarette lighter) and it comes up on the car screen.
        TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

Comment

Depends what you mean by old I suppose. You can check to see if its operating system version and facilities are able to run the same app as your phone, or you may be able to find another app thats acceptable, or even better, that will. You can test it out unmounted before deciding whether its worth buying a screen mount.

Possible downsides are it might be a bit large for the screen. And you may be tempted to leave it mounted.Thieves may think its more valuable than it is.

Comment

Originally posted by jt999 View Post

To be honest, yes probably.
            Does your car have Apple Carplay or Android Auto support? I know it was available after 2016 but may not have been specced in your car. If you have support for those then that would be the best option as you just plug your phone into the stereo USB port (not cigarette lighter) and it comes up on the car screen.
            I've just the standard radio so no Android Auto

Comment

Originally posted by Bugman View Post
              Depends what you mean by old I suppose. You can check to see if its operating system version and facilities are able to run the same app as your phone, or you may be able to find another app thats acceptable, or even better, that will. You can test it out unmounted before deciding whether its worth buying a screen mount.

Possible downsides are it might be a bit large for the screen. And you may be tempted to leave it mounted.Thieves may think its more valuable than it is.
              It's a few years old but not an artifact , it's a galaxy tab 4 so able to run Google maps and Spotify at the same time no problem

Comment

Working...
              X