Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ownership opinions of the Vauxhall Corsa 1.6T VXR

Hello everyone,
    I'm new to this forum and hope that I am posting this in the correct place. I wanted to get peoples ownership opinions of the 2015 (65) and newer Vauxhall Corsa 1.6T VXR's...

Essentially I'm looking to purchase a 2015 one with around 20,000 miles on the clock for around 10,000 and just wanted to know has anyone experienced any issues with the car, and what is it like to live with on a daily basis?

I've seen the piston 4 issues online, how would people recommend that I end up with a decent car that hasn't been thrashed about when it's still cold etc?

Thanks for your help!

Never owned one, but I've always quite liked them visually.

It'll be near impossible to tell exactly how a car was treated in regards to warmed up from cold. I'd look for receipts for any work done, and things like checking that the correct service intervals have been followed. If you can find a single owner car (should be new enough for that) then you might be able to gauge the person when you buy, but that doesn't really let you know for sure.
    TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

Comment

Hopefully I'll be okay then if I find one that's only had one owner with service history, it would be nice to be able to meet the previous owner to sort of gage whether it was looked after but I think I'll end up buying one from a company like Arnold Clark for peace of mind either way.

Would you recommend running it on High Octane fuel etc with suitable Michelin tyres?

I would love to get some owners opinions!

Comment

I doubt it'll be tuned for higher octane fuel (it might be, so check!), but it wouldn't do any harm to use it if the car is only recommended 95 RON fuel. I highly doubt the fuel will make a noticeable difference on power, perhaps on a rolling road the output would differ a little but in the real world, less so.

I'd suggest checking the owners manual when you get the car, it should specify what fuel is recommended for your car.

Do you have a specific version of the Michelins you're interested in? Would be good to check reviews on the tyres, and maybe tally up with your driving style (for example, noise might be a concern if you cruise on motorways a lot)
        TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

Comment

I'd be inclined to agree that higher octane fuel is a bit of a vanity issue.A higher number is always better right? Not always. If its tuned for 95, then that should be all it needs. More readily available and more likely to be fresh stock. But as JT says its best to check. And theh same happens with cars. Some owners will chose a VXR because the best. But will not necessarily be inclined to use it enthusiastically to its full potential, Those are the ones to buy .

As for tyres quality is important but even top makers can make duds. I was tempted by Pirelli cinturato P6's. And they were on offer. When I was younger Pirelli Cints were the bees knees . Actually P6's have mediocre performance with a poor economy rating. This was a reason they were on offer. Sometimes a particular brand matches a car well. But its a good idea to do your research. Sometimes a brand that is not particularly well known in the uk has a very good reputation internationally. These can sometimes be offered in the uk at a competitive price for marketing purposes and may be a good choice.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190109_134043.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	205.6 KB
ID:	120951 Bought this 2017 summit white VXR last week with 18k on for 11389. Has VXR Performance pack added.

traded in my mini coupe 1.6S JCW. What a decision. The thing is lush. Love the exhaust sound. Pacy at 206bph and handles like a beauty with 18" alloys and LSD plus enhanced damper settings. Updated brembo brakes also make the difference.

I've only just learnt of this piston 4 stuff etc but it has manufacturer warranty until Jan 2020 so not overly worried.

Had a Corsa turbo before but this just blows that away. The 7" infotainment system amazing if you use android auto with it. Can have Google maps or Waze ported straight onto the touchscreen from phone .

Love the car ALOT

Comment

Looks awesome man, you got a good deal there, did you buy privately or from a dealer?

I think the 4 piston issue only starts occurring if the cars driven hard when cold etc, but I'm not entirely sure, I've seen a few posts saying it isn't that expensive to get it sorted as some mechanics can do it without replacing the whole engine.

The interior looks so good I think, did you get heated seats, reversing sensors, etc with yours? Also what's the MPG like, that's the only thing putting me off at the moment I can see it costing me a lot to run daily haha.

I currently only have a 1.2L car that's slow as hell - it will be a huge shock when I upgrade for sure... probably need to take it steady to begin with!

Comment

Originally posted by Hazzaa View Post
                Looks awesome man, you got a good deal there, did you buy privately or from a dealer?

I think the 4 piston issue only starts occurring if the cars driven hard when cold etc, but I'm not entirely sure, I've seen a few posts saying it isn't that expensive to get it sorted as some mechanics can do it without replacing the whole engine.

The interior looks so good I think, did you get heated seats, reversing sensors, etc with yours? Also what's the MPG like, that's the only thing putting me off at the moment I can see it costing me a lot to run daily haha.

I currently only have a 1.2L car that's slow as hell - it will be a huge shock when I upgrade for sure... probably need to take it steady to begin with!
                It did not come with Rear Parking Sensors or heated seats but I might add RPS

MPG is ok - on a recent trip to Woburn Forest Centerparcs from Cardiff I used half a tank - its about 150 miles. I was not ragging my car though and I was doing 70mph on Mway.

Bought from a dealer - managed to get 5100 for my mini coupe S John Cooper works which was 2011 with 54000 miles on .

I am taking the car into Vauxhall for a gearbox oil change and will ask them to check piston 4 just to be sure all is well. It is under warranty for a year though so any issues it will just go back in

Comment

Originally posted by PimpeyFC View Post

It did not come with Rear Parking Sensors or heated seats but I might add RPS

MPG is ok - on a recent trip to Woburn Forest Centerparcs from Cardiff I used half a tank - its about 150 miles. I was not ragging my car though and I was doing 70mph on Mway.

Bought from a dealer - managed to get 5100 for my mini coupe S John Cooper works which was 2011 with 54000 miles on .

I am taking the car into Vauxhall for a gearbox oil change and will ask them to check piston 4 just to be sure all is well. It is under warranty for a year though so any issues it will just go back in
                  I don't know if I really need heated seats & wheel or if it's a bit of a gimmick - I'm sure I can cope! Where will you be getting a RPS installed?

That's not too bad then, I don't much mind if it's okay when you don't rag it around, it doesn't seem too dire but not as good as other cars MPG.

Which dealer did you buy it from? Seems like you got a deal, do you think it's worth spending the extra money to get a 2016 model so that I will have a years warranty on it?

Comment

Originally posted by Bugman View Post
                    I'd be inclined to agree that higher octane fuel is a bit of a vanity issue.A higher number is always better right? Not always. If its tuned for 95, then that should be all it needs. More readily available and more likely to be fresh stock. But as JT says its best to check. And theh same happens with cars. Some owners will chose a VXR because the best. But will not necessarily be inclined to use it enthusiastically to its full potential, Those are the ones to buy .

As for tyres quality is important but even top makers can make duds. I was tempted by Pirelli cinturato P6's. And they were on offer. When I was younger Pirelli Cints were the bees knees . Actually P6's have mediocre performance with a poor economy rating. This was a reason they were on offer. Sometimes a particular brand matches a car well. But its a good idea to do your research. Sometimes a brand that is not particularly well known in the uk has a very good reputation internationally. These can sometimes be offered in the uk at a competitive price for marketing purposes and may be a good choice.
                    I guess I shall have to research around a little, 95 should be fine if it's tuned for it, don't see the need to go mad! That's a good point, I'm hoping I get one that was driven nicely so that I don't worry too much about potential issues - however I guess it's pot luck.

Thanks, I'll take a look around then and see if there's some brands not too well known in the UK that make some good tires, would save some money. I definitely agree though that it's worth investing in good tires, especially for a car like the VXR it would be a waste not to. I might look at some owners opinions and see what they think is best for it. I need to take a look into more of the cars running and repair costs too just so I'm aware before buying!

Comment

I wouldnt compromise on tyres with such a high performance car. If vxr enthusiasts recommend Michelin thats what you should get. Even if the reputation means they have upped the price a bit. But if you hear of a lesser known brand that gets repeated high recommendations, even if its from users overseas , then dont necessarily dismiss them.

But dont go just on price and avoid going into a local fitters and buying their recommendation. Its likely to be whatever they have in stock. But even if they dont advertise your particular choice of tyre they might be able to get them in for you within a day or so. And if they are keen to attract the owner of a high performance car that may burn more than its fair share of rubber and brake linings you might get a good price. . But if not try the on- line tyre suppliers . My own regular tyre fitter is so impressed with my diesels I usually get a free advertising pen or air freshener!

Dont be put off by where tyres are made btw. Even the top traditional european brands are often actually made in the far east or cheaper parts of europe. I regularly drive past the Tigar tyre factory in Serbia . A budget brand from Serbia will be made from recycled wellington boots, soot and tar, right? . But Tigar is actually owned by Michelin, and the factory is state of the art. I know they make several other brands of tyre there, so its quite possible your michelins would be made in Serbia.

Comment

Working...
                      X