Thin number plates

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thin number plates

My car has very thin number plates, made of some sort of metal but are not pressed plates. I'd like to replace them but want to keep them as thin and sturdy as they are.
    Does anyone have any ideas what they are called or who might be able to supply them?

To be clear, I want them to be the normal number plate dimensions, but not as deep.
    TheCorsa's friendly predator

I like my women like I like my laptop. Thin, virus free and on my lap

Found a place that does them now Road Legal Number Plate Makers | Custom Number Plates | Make Your Own Plate - Number 1 Plates

Comment

Are they still 100% road-legal?

Comment

Originally posted by TheCircleOfLife View Post
        Are they still 100% road-legal?
        I don't see why not, assuming you don't mean pressed plates. These look like normal plates but are thinner (I'd have to change my camera position if I had a thicker plate) and flex a bit rather than cracking like plastic would.

Comment

Originally posted by jt999 View Post

I don't see why not, assuming you don't mean pressed plates. These look like normal plates but are thinner (I'd have to change my camera position if I had a thicker plate) and flex a bit rather than cracking like plastic would.
          Oh, I see! Also, what is your profile picture supposed to mean??

Comment

Oh, I see! Also, what is your profile picture supposed to mean??
            It's just a super old gif I had, bit of a joke at the time, I should probably update

Comment

I think some places, including halfords, print out the number plate on a printer. I assume this is fairly thin until they bond it to a perspex plate or whatever. You may be able to get one bonded to a backing plate of your choice. Unless they normally glue a clear perspex plate over the front of the image. In which case you could maybe use very thin adhesive screen protector type stuff rather than thick perspex. Then stick the ultra thin plate wherever you want.

On my Yaris a slight wrinkle after 10 years shows the rear number plate was printed out then stuck onto a plate behind. By the Toyota main dealer.
              Last edited by Bugman; 06-12-2018, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bugman View Post
                I think some places, including halfords, print out the number plate on a printer. I assume this is fairly thin until they bond it to a perspex plate or whatever. You may be able to get one bonded to a backing plate of your choice. Unless they normally glue a clear perspex plate over the front of the image. In which case you could maybe use very thin adhesive screen protector type stuff rather than thick perspex. Then stick the ultra thin plate wherever you want.

On my Yaris a slight wrinkle after 10 years shows the rear number plate was printed out then stuck onto a plate behind. By the Toyota main dealer.
                A lot of those are printed in reverse and stuck on to clear plastic, as mine is aluminium it'd need to be printed right side out, and be protected in some way from the elements (usually the plastic on the front would do that). Easier to just order them ready made, just sourcing them was difficult, but the above look fine for my needs (shame about the legal text though, they don't do it without)

Comment

I dont know what the law is for them making them. Technically if its not legal text you are not fitting number plates to your car. Just a sign that looks a bit like a number plate. I think they can get round supplying black and white plates for cars too new for them because its actually legal to use them on trailers. So they are supplying two trailer plates.

Comment

Legal font (I don't like anything other than the basic one anyway), but they also have to have the address of the place that made them on it in black writing, which is the bit I don't really want, but doubt I'll find a way around that. Halfords do it in quite a faint grey (I have them on my trailer and bike rack), but of course they're the plastic type, I kind of want what Halfords do, but on metal. I'll just settle for the above

Comment

It's just a super old gif I had, bit of a joke at the time, I should probably update
                      I meant to ask, how do I update my profile picture?

Comment

I meant to ask, how do I update my profile picture?
                        I've made you a VXR member for 6 months (don't be alarmed by the payment subscription email you might get, we don't have details to charge you anything unless you specifically give them) so you'll be able to (regular members can't), just go to https://www.thecorsa.co.uk/member/3620-thecircleoflife and then if you hover over where the avatar is you'll get a button that says "Edit Avatar", use that

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	1
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	120572

Comment

I've made you a VXR member for 6 months (don't be alarmed by the payment subscription email you might get, we don't have details to charge you anything unless you specifically give them) so you'll be able to (regular members can't), just go to https://www.thecorsa.co.uk/member/3620-thecircleoflife and then if you hover over where the avatar is you'll get a button that says "Edit Avatar", use that

Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.png
Views:	1
Size:	10.6 KB
ID:	120572
                          Ahh I see, I was wondering why my profile was changed to VXR. Anyhow, that's brilliant! Thank you.

Comment

Working...
                          X