Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pivate Cars Cannot be Sold With Road Tax (VED)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pivate Cars Cannot be Sold With Road Tax (VED)

Well, from October 2014 apparently...

Seems to be due to the removal of the tax disk to prevent people trying to commit fraud.

Private Cars Cannot Be Sold With Road Tax From October 2014 | Regit

makes sense really, seeing as you won't be able to prove how much tax the vehicle has any more.
    Originally posted by Vegas
    When I hit boost me fuel runs out

Comment

I'am for that twice I have had to mess about with tax on private cars.

Plus if your selling private helps the buyer if it's taxed and tested.

I take it there will be a way of finding out how much tax is left on a car when tax discs are stopped.

Comment

That would be fine is you could cancel half way through a month and get a pro rata refund however what will happen is you will put your car up for sale the end of the month, someone will buy it on the 2nd or 3rd. They then have to purchase tax, so will buy a month and with the current system you wouldn't be able to claim back for the part of the month you haven't used. Therefore the government getting two months worth of tax for one car.

*ill stop now before I start my Tory rant *
        Originally posted by Dave
        Originally posted by Stephen Fry
        [B]"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."

Comment

I wa thinking the same thing tim, another way to get more money from us essentially

Comment

Another way to make selling privately as difficult as possible, helping national company's (we buy any car/dealerships) compete ultimately bringing in higher taxes (helping their mates as well).

If they agree to pro rata the refund I will apologise and agree they are aiming to prevent fraud.
            [B]"It's now very common to hear people say, 'I'm rather offended by that.' As if that gives them certain rights. It's actually nothing more... than a whine. 'I find that offensive.' It has no meaning; it has no purpose; it has no reason to be respected as a phrase. 'I am offended by that.' Well, so ****ing what."

Comment

I would assume that they would refund the seller for the month they sold the car, provided the buyer pays for tax in the same month.

If I was the seller, I'd add the price of a months tax to the price, just in case

Comment

If buying private it could be a pain i think.

As tax won't be transferable between cars and as it's all going to b e done electronic i imagine the V5 would need to be updated in the new owners name before they are able to tax it.
                So buy a car from Mr Bodge...wait for V5 to arrive, then go and collect 3 weeks later to find it's been stolen / damaged / bits taken off...

Comment

might give you some sort of 'grace period' to get it back to your place.

Comment

Think you can still tax at the post office.

Comment

Not sure if that would work though. If you can't sell cars privately with tax, i'm assuming when DVLA see the keeper has changed on the V5 then they will know it's sold privately and cancel any tax currently on it.
                      If you just have the slip from the V5 then you might be able to get it taxed again, but i imagine when the V5 updates to the new keepers name it will cancel the tax again.

Hopefully more info will appear soon to clarify.

Comment

You will have to cancel and claim the tax back yourself it just won't be transferable.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                          You will have to cancel and claim the tax back yourself it just won't be transferable.
                          I don't think my point went across well with my last post.
                          What i was meaning, as tax won't be transferable i'm assuming with DVLA see the V5 has changed names they will cancel the tax.

So if you buy a car, get the rear off slip and get it taxed a week or so later when DVLA see the V5 has changed names, won't they just cancel it again?
                          There will be a delay of at least a few days between buyer buying the car and DVLA updating the records for the V5

Comment

Read more into this now.

Total **** by the sounds of it.

It's being set up so the new owner of the vehicle won't be able to tax the car until the V5 is registered in their name.
                            That means if you buy a car you won't be able to get it home or keep it anywhere easily.

The other issue is, if you sell a car you're entitled to a refund of any full months remaining on the tax. So if you sell it in the middle of a month you can't get a pro rata refund for the tax.

DVLA ****heads

Comment

Working...
                            X