Results 1 to 19 of 19

Thread: Car backfiring, overheating, idling rough struggles to turn over.

  1. #1
    'SXi' Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Drives
    Corsa B C20XE
    Posts
    782
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts

    Car backfiring, overheating, idling rough struggles to turn over.


  2. #2
    Administrator Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Kent
    Drives
    Skyline R33 @ 320Bhp
    Posts
    6,440
    Thanks
    163
    Thanked 514 Times in 399 Posts
    Ooooh, nice... That's not good. The most worrying thing there I'd say would be the overheating, is it just getting hot or is it actually overheating? Like pissing water out etc?? The easiest thing for you to do at the moment, I'd say, is pull the plugs and inspect them, their condition will tell you a lot.

  3. #3
    'SXi' Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Drives
    Corsa B C20XE
    Posts
    782
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Ooooh, nice... That's not good. The most worrying thing there I'd say would be the overheating, is it just getting hot or is it actually overheating? Like pissing water out etc?? The easiest thing for you to do at the moment, I'd say, is pull the plugs and inspect them, their condition will tell you a lot.
    It reached 100 degrees on a one mile trip down the road. I got to the traffic lights when the whole car started to judder as if it was about to stall.
    That's when I noticed the rev counter going crazy.

    First day of new job tomorrow. 6am start. Don't know how I'm going to get there.

  4. #4
    'VXR' Member Vegas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    7,618
    Thanks
    347
    Thanked 378 Times in 322 Posts
    That video simply won't load for me.

    If its misfire, pull plugs out and check too see if one or more is wet if it is then its not eating good spark. So you then inspect that ht lead. Then swap ht leads around to check if its that particular lead or just that cylinder.

    Then remove coil pack and leave indoors overnight to remove any moisture. Hopefully this should change a bit.

    Need to see plugs before anything else really

  5. #5
    'VXR' Member Taurus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Chester
    Posts
    2,465
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 427 Times in 370 Posts
    Backfire + overheating + poor running = I'd check the timing, but it would be useful to know which engine it is.

    The other immediate thought is an air leak which would make it run lean and so cause overheating
    1972 Viva restoration thread - [url]https://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-builds/138-1972-vauxhall-viva.html#post1534[/url]

  6. #6
    'SXi' Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Drives
    Corsa B C20XE
    Posts
    782
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Backfire + overheating + poor running = I'd check the timing, but it would be useful to know which engine it is.

    The other immediate thought is an air leak which would make it run lean and so cause overheating
    Oh sorry, completely forgot.
    The engine is a x12xe
    I'll also point out that the EML has came on.

    Car won't start unless I keep my foot to the floor on the accelerator pedal.

  7. #7
    'VXR' Member Taurus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Chester
    Posts
    2,465
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 427 Times in 370 Posts
    It would be worth getting the fault codes read then - have you got access to a reader?

    As you probably know checking the timing on those isn't straightforward because there are no timing marks, it's done using a timing kit. I have one if you need it.

    Those engines are very intolerant of overheating so keep an eye on the gauge.

    Has this come on out of the blue?

    I'll ask the obvious just to make sure - any issues with oil and/or coolant?

    To check for air leaks you can use a stethoscope with a trumpet attachment, or a thin stream of smoke (eg a joss stick) see if it's pulled in anywhere, or you can spray WD40 or lighter fuel gas around the intake - if there's a leak it's drawn in and you'll hear the idle pick up briefly. (Obviously be careful spraying inflammable materials around a hot engine.)

    Best of luck with the new job by the way.
    1972 Viva restoration thread - [url]https://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-builds/138-1972-vauxhall-viva.html#post1534[/url]

  8. #8
    'SXi' Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Drives
    Corsa B C20XE
    Posts
    782
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    It would be worth getting the fault codes read then - have you got access to a reader?

    As you probably know checking the timing on those isn't straightforward because there are no timing marks, it's done using a timing kit. I have one if you need it.

    Those engines are very intolerant of overheating so keep an eye on the gauge.

    Has this come on out of the blue?

    I'll ask the obvious just to make sure - any issues with oil and/or coolant?

    To check for air leaks you can use a stethoscope with a trumpet attachment, or a thin stream of smoke (eg a joss stick) see if it's pulled in anywhere, or you can spray WD40 or lighter fuel gas around the intake - if there's a leak it's drawn in and you'll hear the idle pick up briefly. (Obviously be careful spraying inflammable materials around a hot engine.)

    Best of luck with the new job by the way.
    Thank you Taurus.
    Was still playing up this morning so got the codes read.
    Diagnostics show that the EGR valve is at fault.

  9. #9
    'VXR' Member Taurus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Chester
    Posts
    2,465
    Thanks
    43
    Thanked 427 Times in 370 Posts
    Unusual symptoms for the EGR - they can cause misfires, not seen one cause such rapid overheating before. But you live and learn....

    If cleaning it doesn't do the trick are you planning to blank it or replace it?
    1972 Viva restoration thread - [url]https://www.thecorsa.co.uk/projects-builds/138-1972-vauxhall-viva.html#post1534[/url]

  10. #10
    'SXi' Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Drives
    Corsa B C20XE
    Posts
    782
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurus View Post
    Unusual symptoms for the EGR - they can cause misfires, not seen one cause such rapid overheating before. But you live and learn....

    If cleaning it doesn't do the trick are you planning to blank it or replace it?
    Just got back from work, had my father take it down the garage this morning. Went to pick up my car and they've confirmed it's the EGR.
    A new one is 140 + labour.
    They've cleaned it out, put it back on. Started the engine. EML went off for 2 minutes and then came back on.

    Engine will be coming out in a months time so I don't really want to be spending that kind of money.

    Taurus, what are your thoughts?
    Is it safe to drive my car now that this issue has occurred? (Taking out the fact it overheated last night)
    How much will I be looking at for an blanking plate?

  11. #11
    Administrator Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Kent
    Drives
    Skyline R33 @ 320Bhp
    Posts
    6,440
    Thanks
    163
    Thanked 514 Times in 399 Posts
    blanking paltes you can get off ebay and are literally like 4 or soemthing stupid... I'd do that, just means taking it off, fitting plate, putting it back. The EML occasioanlly comes on with this, but obviously t means the car will run ok.

  12. #12
    'SXi' Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Drives
    Corsa B C20XE
    Posts
    782
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    blanking paltes you can get off ebay and are literally like 4 or soemthing stupid... I'd do that, just means taking it off, fitting plate, putting it back. The EML occasioanlly comes on with this, but obviously t means the car will run ok.
    Thank you Dave. I'll do that then.
    Any chance you could post a link?

  13. #13
    Administrator Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Kent
    Drives
    Skyline R33 @ 320Bhp
    Posts
    6,440
    Thanks
    163
    Thanked 514 Times in 399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Sparky View Post
    Thank you Dave. I'll do that then.
    Any chance you could post a link?
    I'm on my phone so no link due to eBay app. But the item number is 180947851150

    |> Spec2 R33 Skyline GTS-T <|


    /[__ Offical TheCorsa.co.uk Stickers! Available
    HERE! __]\


  14. #14
    'SXi' Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Drives
    Corsa B C20XE
    Posts
    782
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Thank you again.
    Cheap as chips. Will order one now.

  15. #15
    'VXR' Member Vegas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    7,618
    Thanks
    347
    Thanked 378 Times in 322 Posts
    Blanking plate in two cars I've driven now. Works fine.

  16. #16
    Administrator Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Kent
    Drives
    Skyline R33 @ 320Bhp
    Posts
    6,440
    Thanks
    163
    Thanked 514 Times in 399 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    Blanking plate in two cars I've driven now. Works fine.
    And doesnt cost 140! Win win really

  17. #17
    'GSi' Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South Derbyshire
    Posts
    3,422
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 170 Times in 139 Posts
    Or just cut up a coke can for free and make your own plate. No delivery time that way either.

  18. #18
    'SXi' Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Staffordshire
    Drives
    Corsa B C20XE
    Posts
    782
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 22 Times in 20 Posts
    Will I need a gasket as well, or just the plate?

  19. #19
    'GSi' Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South Derbyshire
    Posts
    3,422
    Thanks
    29
    Thanked 170 Times in 139 Posts
    Probably a new gasket too.

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •