Results 1 to 9 of 9

Thread: Relocating battery

  1. #1
    'GSi' Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South-East Kent
    Drives
    1995 Corsa B Sri 16v
    Posts
    1,008
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 49 Times in 44 Posts

    Relocating battery

    Hi guys

    Need to relocate my battery to make way for a plenum chamber. I was thinking relocating it to the boot in a battery box but is there anywhere else to put it?

    Also would I need a BMW battery loom or chop up some jump leads?

  2. #2
    'VXR' Member Vegas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Posts
    7,618
    Thanks
    347
    Thanked 378 Times in 322 Posts
    People do use BMW looms, I didn't though.

    Mine is earthed on the wheel well.

    The bulkhead has an earth on it, near water bottle, so that can be used for various other things in engine bay that need an earth. You can tidy this up by firing a junction box so all earths can go in that box.

    Live goes through car into boot

  3. #3
    'GSi' Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South-East Kent
    Drives
    1995 Corsa B Sri 16v
    Posts
    1,008
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 49 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas View Post
    People do use BMW looms, I didn't though.

    Mine is earthed on the wheel well.

    The bulkhead has an earth on it, near water bottle, so that can be used for various other things in engine bay that need an earth. You can tidy this up by firing a junction box so all earths can go in that box.

    Live goes through car into boot
    Thanks pal

    What gauge wire did you use for the positive? That sounds good! I'll look into getting a junction box then.

    Also would I need some kind of junction box for the positives?
    Last edited by Sam_Sri; 22-07-2013 at 03:17 PM.

  4. #4
    'GLS' Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    West Nottinghamshire
    Drives
    1.0 Corsa 'C'
    Posts
    227
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 20 Times in 19 Posts
    The further that you move the battery away from the starter motor (the greatest user of power) the larger the cross sectional area of the connecting cable needs to be if you are to prevent volt-drop problems.
    If you are going to locate the battery in the boot, I would suggest that you use 322/0.30 (25 square mm) tinned copper cable with soldered terminals.
    Most people seem to ignore the earth connection, but if you wish your system to be reliable, I would suggest that you use the same size earth cable, connected directly to the ENGINE rather than relying on connections via the bodywork.

    You can buy the cable and terminals from any AUTO electrical supplier, or on-line from Vehicle Wiring Products (Ilkeston) who also offer a down loadable catalogue.

  5. #5
    'GSi' Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South-East Kent
    Drives
    1995 Corsa B Sri 16v
    Posts
    1,008
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 49 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by walksall View Post
    The further that you move the battery away from the starter motor (the greatest user of power) the larger the cross sectional area of the connecting cable needs to be if you are to prevent volt-drop problems.
    If you are going to locate the battery in the boot, I would suggest that you use 322/0.30 (25 square mm) tinned copper cable with soldered terminals.
    Most people seem to ignore the earth connection, but if you wish your system to be reliable, I would suggest that you use the same size earth cable, connected directly to the ENGINE rather than relying on connections via the bodywork.

    You can buy the cable and terminals from any AUTO electrical supplier, or on-line from Vehicle Wiring Products (Ilkeston) who also offer a down loadable catalogue.
    Thanks for that info mate! Will have a look

  6. #6
    Administrator Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Kent
    Drives
    Skyline R33 @ 320Bhp
    Posts
    6,440
    Thanks
    163
    Thanked 514 Times in 399 Posts
    When we bought all the stuff to do marks relocation I bought it from AutoElectricSupplies

    http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/

    Was the cheapest and had absolutely everything and more that we needed.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    |> Spec2 R33 Skyline GTS-T <|


    /[__ Offical TheCorsa.co.uk Stickers! Available
    HERE! __]\


  7. #7
    'GSi' Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South-East Kent
    Drives
    1995 Corsa B Sri 16v
    Posts
    1,008
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 49 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    When we bought all the stuff to do marks relocation I bought it from AutoElectricSupplies

    http://www.autoelectricsupplies.co.uk/

    Was the cheapest and had absolutely everything and more that we needed.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Awesome site! Found everything I need and more thanks mate!

  8. #8
    Administrator Dave's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Kent
    Drives
    Skyline R33 @ 320Bhp
    Posts
    6,440
    Thanks
    163
    Thanked 514 Times in 399 Posts
    Glad you found it useful, it's a dangerous site as you start browsing the categories and adding on bits of wire/heatshrink/connectors/fixings etc lmao.... But yeh, cheap stuff, great prices. Ordered from there a good few times now


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    |> Spec2 R33 Skyline GTS-T <|


    /[__ Offical TheCorsa.co.uk Stickers! Available
    HERE! __]\


  9. The Following User Says Thank You to Dave For This Useful Post:

    Sam_Sri (28-07-2013)

  10. #9
    'GSi' Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    South-East Kent
    Drives
    1995 Corsa B Sri 16v
    Posts
    1,008
    Thanks
    137
    Thanked 49 Times in 44 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave View Post
    Glad you found it useful, it's a dangerous site as you start browsing the categories and adding on bits of wire/heatshrink/connectors/fixings etc lmao.... But yeh, cheap stuff, great prices. Ordered from there a good few times now


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
    Yeah I seem to have a list of stuff that I won't need but I'm sure will be useful in the future

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •